Sunday, October 21, 2007

Smooshy

Dream In Color “Smooshy” Sock Yarn
WARNING: I will probably use too many ecstatic adjectives in this review, but I just can’t help myself because I LOVE this yarn soo much. So please bear with me, and just skip over some if they start to bother you.
I could start with all the technical details like yardage, weight etc, but we can get to those later. First I have to talk about two aspects of this yarn that really distinguish it from other sock yarns: Color and Twist.

Dream in Color (DIC) has a great description on their site of what they call their Veil dyed yarn. Or if I can steal a quote from their site:

“Inspired by the play of light in nature, our veil dyeing process brings depth and life to color, giving garments a subtle, dramatic shimmer and shine. While veil dyed yarn has all the unique character of other hand-dyed yarns, it will not “landscape” or “pool.” The result? A magnificent, flattering garment every time!”



Still, this does not adequately describe the absolute loveliness of the colors as you make every stitch. This is only something you can feel once you experience it for yourself. Photos just cannot do the colors any justice. I made a little baby sweater entirely out of the Smooshy sock yarn, it was slow going only because I could not stop staring at the beautiful play of the colors.

Now for the “Twist”. DIC has aptly captured the characteristic of this yarn by naming it Smooshy. It seems to have extra twist that makes it sproingy (maybe it’s not a word, but still a good description of its characteristics. Kinda like an onomatopoeia: a word or a grouping of words that imitates the sound it is describing.) Some people have referred to it as the “smoosh factor” The yarn lives up to it’s name and is very stretchy, springy, and elastic, making it perfect for socks, and a joy to knit/crochet with.



Allright, here come the technicals:
  • Yardage: 4 oz and 450 yards ( Most generously enough to make an adult pair of socks!)

  • Gauge: 6.5 – 8 sts per inch, US 1 - 3

  • Content: 100% Superfine Australian Merino. Spun from 22 micron 100% Australian merino wool, whereas most traditional wool is significantly coarser - around 28 microns and higher. This makes it incredibly soft and never itchy.

  • It’s SUPERWASH! Meaning machine washable (delicate cycle, cold water) and can be tumbled dry on low heat, making it a perfect choice for socks, baby things or anything that requires frequent washing.

  • It comes in 18 different colors.

  • Online shops cannot keep this stuff in stock!

I used some DIC Smooshy to make a sock from the book “New Pathways for Sock Knitters” by Cat Bordhi, (that review is coming soon). When I put that sock on, it was giving my foot a hug. That was enough to make my day a little bit better.

I have never heard or read anything even slightly derogatory about this yarn. So take my word, and get some of this, you won’t regret it; in fact you will get in line to thank me. I will be waiting… and I also accept hugs of gratitude. ~Stormy


No comments: